Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hope in this new life

Gin,

I'm sorry you had such a rough time finding your way home, but I'm glad you got to see your daughter.  I didn't hear from mine on Mother's Day, I wish I could see her more.  I don't drive at night and it's hit me more than once that if George was alive I wouldn't have to miss so much because he'd be here to drive me places.  It sure does affect us in a lot of ways.

Yes it's hard to fill out those change of beneficiary forms, another hit...

• Upvote 2

Kay,.  Al used to drive a semi in the city for many, many years.  He got glaucoma and lost his sight the last several years.  Even though he could not see, he always knew where we were.  He always knew which way to go when I got lost.  I never felt worried with him.  Now I am the opposite.

Gin

• Upvote 3

A little off topic, but don't get me started on computers which seem to rule our lives. I have been adamant about not wanting Windows 10 installed on my computer. I would give it a definite "NO" each time the little box popped up in my face. Windows seem to have a mind of it's own. Several days ago, I sat down here and it was being installed anyway. There does not seem to be a way to turn off updates, only schedule them at your convenience. This morning, it offered me a time choice for updates, which I set at 4:30 tomorrow morning. It immediately started installing the updates. I have heard that this version is much more invasive of our personal information. It seems that this is yet another area of our lives over which we have no control, except the "off" button. Trivial, I know. At least it's not brain surgery.

• Upvote 2

Good for you, Gin ~ I'm glad you got it solved!

And Karen, I'm with you about computers. Anything I've ever learned about them has been self-taught, and sometimes I want to scream. I've not installed Windows 10 yet, although I must do so one of these days, so I can still get it for free. What do you think of it so far? Better than 7?

I have decided to reschedule my driving test from this Friday and give myself some more time to practice.  I have not rested much this weekend. I am very thankful that I do not have as many pressures on me as all of you. I had my pressures at a time in my life when I did not have to also deal with grief. I have always considered myself a strong person, but have spent my whole life putting myself last (except of course when I moved to Texas). Yesterday showed me I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready for Mark to die, but that was beyond my control. My confidence was shaken...what little I had left. I need time to recover.

• Upvote 6

That's probably a very wise move, Maryann. We all have pressures/stresses in this life but the worst is the pressure we tend to put on ourselves. You've waited this long to get your license anyway, a small delay to get some practice and boost your confidence is just what "the doctor" ordered.

Get some rest, OK?

And.. when you feel ready to take your test, take some nice, deep breaths and just relax. You got this, Maryann!

• Upvote 3

Marty,

I love Windows 7 but I upgraded to 10 when they said they were no longer going to furnish security updates for 7.  On my PC, I lost my permissions, which means I can't do anything with MyPictures or scan from my printer.  I did find a workaround but it's more cumbersome than a mere click.  I'm sure my computer guru could fix it...for a price, right now I don't have the money free to do that.

I've also noticed that every time Windows decides to do it's updates, it freezes up my computer and I have to reboot, something I never had to do before.

Also, the drivers for my printer don't work right.  I tried reinstalling it, I upgraded drivers, still problematic (it leaves blank lines where there shouldn't be).  Sometimes it doesn't want to recognize my cartridge...I never had that problem before, and yes, I've bought new cartridges (it's an HP).

I finally upgraded my laptop and haven't noticed problems with it.  How brave are you feeling?  My BIL upgraded to Windows 10 and panicked, thinking he'd lost all his information, but finally found it and put it where he wanted it.  If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you back up all your files to an external drive (I'm not one to trust clouds) beforehand.  Cross your fingers or dig out your rosary...

• Upvote 2

Oh Kay. When it comes to computer stuff, I am not brave at all ~ and I don't know when I can force myself to take the time to do the upgrade. The Windows 10 upgrade icon's been sitting in my system tray for months. My files are all safe, I think, as I use Dropbox and have my files backed up onto an external hard drive as well.I'm so afraid I'll mess something up or that I won't have time to learn what's new and different in 10. I did buy a copy of Windows 10 for Dummies, so at least I'll have that to go by. (I have a whole array of xxx for Dummies books; they speak to me in language I can understand.) If and when I decide to do it, I'll keep my rosary handy ;)

• Upvote 3

If you have Windows 10 for Dummies, you're ahead of me then because mostly I just ignore all the stuff they try to drag me into. :)  It seems better than Windows 8 at least.  I think my windows dummies books are for 95...time to get rid of them, ya think?! :D

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Froggie4635 said:

Yesterday showed me I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready for Mark to die, but that was beyond my control. My confidence was shaken...what little I had left. I need time to recover.

Maryann, I am having a day that the not being ready is hitting me hard.  There is a voice somewhere that keeps screaming at me that Steve is dead.  It's driving me crazy.  I don't want it to be true.  I know it is, but I feel so paralyzed in this reality.  I had a dream about him last night packing his stuff for a gig and it felt so normal.  Then I woke up to the reality.  You have the pressure of the learning to drive, I have been ill for weeks.  I think when we get more heaped on top of the already horrible change in our life we just crumble at the slightest bit more weight to carry.  I felt invincible with him in my life because if I couldn't do something alone, he was there to help.  I find I can do what needs to be done, but it is such a reminder that I have no option.  I also push myself to do things that can wait because I hate sitting here thinking about the loss.  It follows me everywhere.  We don't want to escape our loves, but I do want to escape that voice.  I want it to shut up and leave me alone.  I get it!  I have since the day he died.  I guess it is my voice, so how do I get ME to shut up?  

• Upvote 4

I have Windows 10 on  my business computer.  It works smoothly for the most part but the printer drivers are a challenge.  They worked great in Windows 8.  I will upgrade my other. Computer about two weeks before the upgrade expires so they can get all of the kinks worked out.  

Be sure to backup all My files , my data, my music, my data... The upgrade changes the names to user/user which messes up your cloud backup service.  Shalom - George

5 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

I felt invincible with him in my life because if I couldn't do something alone, he was there to help. 

I hear you Gwen. We're living in the new world of me when it used to be we. We were so used to having a life where we were so much more because we were a team.

When you talked about feeling invincible because of Steve, that really hits me hard. In my life with Tammy, I always did my best to make sure she'd be OK. When things were bad, I always was there trying to let her know it would be alright. Then, the evening of March 6th 2015 came and I couldn't protect and save my Tammy. That will always hurt so bad.

• Upvote 2

Gwen, I totally get what you are saying.  I think sometimes we are our own worst enemies.  Like Mitch said being a team was what we were so use to.  It was empowering knowing that he was always there to give me support in anything I did.  As if losing them wasn't enough, we have to do it all now alone.  I wish I knew how to "gag" that voice because mine won't shut up either!

Joyce

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, mittam99 said:

In my life with Tammy, I always did my best to make sure she'd be OK. When things were bad, I always was there trying to let her know it would be alright. 

And she would do the same for you.  That is what is so hard to acclimate to now.  There was always that give and....give to each other.  Now we don't have them to help us.  We know they would if they could and need it so desperately.  We look for ways to comfort ourselves now.  It was so easy before to just turn to them and say....I need some help.  

• Upvote 2

Marty,

You asked if I liked Windows 10. This computer came with 8 in it and my "fancier" computer had Vista, I think. It really is all jibber jabber to me. I put the more expensive computer in my grandson's room so he could use it for his online gaming. I paid more for it just so he could have those features. I am a saint, I know.  lol

I gradually get used to whatever version I have, but then my use of a computer's functions is probably more limited than other people's. I don't download files, or use the "cloud". Not even sure what that is and don't care. It is mainly a way for me to communicate with others, gather information, keep up with what is going on in the world(don't believe everything you read on the internet), check ads, and do limited business. I do have photos and music stored on it. I did have problems accessing this site and the cancer site on the first day as well as directing things to the printer. Those went away on their own?? My grandson, who is extremely computer savvy can take care of most problems so far. He is the one who told me to avoid 10 due to security measures.

Okay, I'll shut up about the computer now.

Maryann,

I am proud of you for not giving up on the license. I believe you live in a large city which I'm sure makes the prospect of driving scarier. My granddaughter who is 26 took the driving lessons, but is still afraid to go for the license or drive and she lives in a "one horse town". I learned to drive at age 11. At 16, I got the "Earl Schieb $19.95"(for those of you old enough to remember) Fire Engine Red paint job and sailed away. Married and with a baby the following year, my folks generously bought us a brand new stick shift RAMBLER station wagon(hated that thing). Like Mitch, I sat through a few stoplights trying to  shift the darn thing. Finally got the hang of it though, just as you will with driving. Best of luck.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...