Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sanity Needed Vents

Kitaro is like the foremost in New Age genre, although he prefers it to just be known as "Kitaro's Music". You either love it or you hate it. I can't remember how or when I first heard it, but have played it for many, many years. Have most of his cd's. I have a varied taste in music according to mood, I guess.

• Like 1

I just googled him and listened to some.  I dint hate it, but it’s not for me.  Guess I’m still a rock and roller at heart.  There are a few slow sings I love, but I need stuff that gets my heart pumping.  He is good.  Having lived with a musician taught me to appreciate the language of music, even if it wasn’t my kind.  

I didn’t even notice a Charlie Brown Xmas was missing.  That’s a staple!  Like the original Grinch.  Why would anyone make that inaccessible?  I don’t get all these having to belong to this or that to see things beyond HBO, Showtime, etc.  now there’s Hulu, Netflix and so many others, even Disney!  I feel like my parents griping about the good old days.  I pay a hefty amount for Direct TV and rarely find good stuff to watch that hasn’t been run a hundred times.  They just did A Christmas Story for 24 hours.  I’m in the minority, I dislike that movie.  All the channels I like ran Xmas stuff last night.  Only a couple catered to not everyone wants to watch that stuff.  I found a 2 hour documentary about the making of all the 80’s hit movies and TV  show which was really good.  Lots of memories.  ET,  Cheers,  Ghostbusters, Married With Children, etc.  

off to clean a birdcage, highlight of Xmas 2020.  Birds will be happy.  Mel wants her ball thrown.  Far cry from what today used to be.

• Like 3

I've never seen "A Christmas Story", proudly. 

I can listen to and appreciate any type of music except actual Classical, boy bands and modern Country and Pop. It is just so calculated and fake sounding- more cold and impersonal than Kraftwerk (cold German techno). I need to get some Kitaro. Annette had a cassette from during her New Age phase. She literally spent 1989 watching VH1 (remember, they used to show music).

• Like 2

I remember when MTV was MTV.  the few times I checked it after they started phasing out original music videos, I was sadly disappointed.  I loved seeing my fav songs/bands preform. Now they have talk shows and al kinds of weird stuff.  I see videos elsewhere of new bands, or at least new to me.  Have actually heard some great stuff I’ve downloaded.  Not all new stuff is unrelatable to this 60 something.  That’s a good thing.  Trouble is I hardly listen to music.  But I have it if I want to. I miss our old 5 disc CD player I could set to skip around.   The player I have now doesn’t work and has the CD Steve made me of my favorite songs.  Can’t get it out.  I have a CD in the car, it may be a back up.  Music just hits too close to home for making me cry.  Too many memories.

• Like 3

I'm just the opposite. Music comforts me. It is a bit hard to listen to the playlists Annette made of her favorite songs- a lot of them are newer bands like Imagine Dragons don't aren't my thing. Knowing they meant a lot to her makes me feel closer to her though. Stuff from the 80's we both loved brings back great memories of when she was healthy and happy. When we could dance to the 8 minute "Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go" at the club. 

• Like 2

I don't like the chant music that Kitaro does. I prefer the stuff like "Silk Road" or "Heaven and Earth". Another group I like you probably don't know is Brule. They're a Native American group. They used to tour here and are pretty upbeat. I like Classical, like "Swan Lake" or "Nutcracker", but not the heavy stuff.

Ron was more Bluegrass than anything. Not many of those artists that I like. Too twangy for me.

• Like 2

Bluegrass, hip hop and jazz are out for me.  It’s like on a blackboard to me. I’m looking forward to Christmas carols ending.   Miss loving hearing them. But times change.  Hope your dinner turned out good, Karen.

• Like 2

Some music styles I have to be in the mood for. I can appreciate a lot more than I actually enjoy- a lot I can listen to for the production alone. I should have added Christmas music to music I cannot listen to. My brother made me listen to 2 Christmas albums and they made me physically angry. I had to listen to a favorite CD just to calm down. 

• Like 1

I may watch A Christmas Story tonight, was too tired last night.

So po'd at my bank right now. For about the fourth time, they have made double payments on one of my bills. I changed a payment date for it and the system retained both dates. The additional payment is pending and can't be deleted. So they have to open a "case" to investigate which takes about 10 days. Glad I discovered it beforehand or it would have overdrawn my account. Had to move money from a credit card over to checking. Not something I wanted to do to cover the bank's mistake. Their idea of convenient banking differs from mine.

• Like 2

Ugh, I’ve had the same problems.  Cancelled payments and the bank sending them anyway.  Having to then call the payee's and get credit to the next month, then back to the bank and stop automatic til it gets caught up.  I feel like they should pay me like an employee.  Now I’m in a hassle for my oxygen that I thought was on auto payment since I went on Medicare.  Being the weekend, no one to contact.  I also know I updated my credit card but had to do it again.  It’s like a career doing this stuff.  Ease thru technology....feh.

• Like 1

My big fight the last two weeks is CVS Caremark.  It's hard to hold my cool when this happens EVERY time I renew Rxs!  Fed up with their hassle.  

My only problem with my bank is sometimes their online banking shows something then doesn't, and balance doesn't match what I show, I don't understand how something can show up as posted and then disappear!  Evidently they don't either because it keeps happening.  Eventually it usually ends up there, just confusing to figure out if you're tracking your charges.  I had a problem with them a while back with a payment they transferred to my M/C way too soon, it was a lot and cut me short.  They did reverse it and put it through the correct date.  They said it was how I set it up but it wasn't, I always keep a copy when I do it, they needed to look at the copy I sent them!  I called them and 8 days later they still didn't call me back so had to call again.  Ugh, I hate these things!

Sorry Karen, they should reimburse you any extra costs you have because of it!

16 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

It’s like a career doing this stuff.

Yeah, makes me wonder how I ever had time to work!

On 12/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, KarenK said:

Paramount tv is running the 3 seasons of "Yellowstone" all day today. You can have your "Rip" and I my Kevin Costner. 😁

OK Karen, I have you to thank for my spending the last two days in front of my TV watching episodes of Yellowstone.  Being an old woman without a DVR, I had to jump up between commercials to get anything done.  I had never watched Yellowstone even though my daughter who would have given anything to be one of those females  carrying the American Flag before a rodeo,  had suggested I watch it.  But, must have enjoyed each episode cause I couldn't turn it off.  I only wish I had a nickle for each time the "f" word was used.  Pretty rough and tough in some parts.  "Rip" is easy on the eyes as well as Kevin.  Thanks for reminding Marg to watch.  Dee     

• Like 2

Luv ya Dee,

I've been watching it all. Have about 3 hours left, but I have seen it before. Definitely rough and tough. Had to cringe at the part when Beth got the crap beat out of her. Language doesn't really bother me. It's probably realistic. I frequented some rough cowboy bars in my much younger single days. Cowboys are a tough breed.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, KarenK said:

I frequented some rough cowboy bars in my much younger single days. Cowboys are a tough breed.

Karen, sounds like you lived an interesting life as a young single.  Yes,  to say the least cowboys are a tough breed for sure.  The only time I ever came close to cowboys was when, we as a family, went to a "dude" ranch in Montana for a family vacation.  We were the silly city slickers.  My daughter, age 14, fell in love with the wrangler and always dreamed of living on a ranch.  Actually, the dude ranch must have been close to where Yellowstone was filmed.  My poor son, age 10, ended up in the Bozeman Hospital for about 3 days.  He had an sinus infection behind his eye which caused his eyeball to bulge, he looked like cyclops.  When I brought him into the emergency room they questioned me as if I had been abusing him because his eye looked so awful.  I commuted from hospital to ranch, an hour drive each way, for about three days of our vacation while they cured the infection behind his eye.   Other than my son's hospitalization, it was a fun vacation.  On the way home back to Tacoma we drove to Yellowstone Park.  Good to know a "cowgirl Karen".  Hugs, Dee  

• Like 1

Oh Dee, as much as I wanted to be a cowgirl, I really only got the chance for 3 summers in Wyoming, ages 11-12-13. The wranglers at the riding stables were a mixture of young guys and old rodeo cowboys. If you were 30-35, that was old for a rodeo cowboy. An old Bronc rider named Bud taught me about horses, how to throw a saddle on and ride and gave me a pair of spurs. I loved that "old" guy. Only one guy tried to be a little "too" nice while giving me a lift home one night. I managed to jump out of his moving car, hit my head on the pavement and walked home. Never told my parents. Avoided him for sure after that. Have to almost laugh now as it was a bit of a prelude to the cowboy bars. Dancing with drunk cowboys and avoiding their grasps doesn't make you a cowgirl either.  lol. Married at 16 and divorced at 25, I married Ron 7 months later, so my single nights were limited. I think I tried to cram all those lost years into a few short months with very little caution and knowledge of how the world worked. It was a learning experience, to say the least.

What a terrible thing to happen to your son, especially on vacation. Like your daughter, I wanted to marry the cowboy and live on a ranch. Never happened 😢 Haven't been on a horse in about 6 years.

Have been to Yellowstone several times. Lived fairly close to the south entrance. The ranch used in the "Yellowstone" series is the Chief Joseph Ranch outside Darby, Mt.

• Like 2

Oh my, Karen.  Yep, good thing you never told your parents about your adventure with the cowboy.  I'm learning more and more about those, "don't tell Mom" adventures from my kids as they leak more stories.  No wonder I have a full head of grey hair raising my daughter.  LOL.  My daughter would have loved living your 3 years in Wyoming.  Have to look up Darby, Montana, and see how close that dude ranch was, can only remember it was an hour away to Bozeman.  Will ask my kids.  It was sure beautiful country.  Dee 

• Like 1

I watched my new dvd of "Call Of The Wild". Not what I was expecting. Not like the other versions of the movie or much like the book. It was fairly good, but didn't care for the computer generated dog. Technology does not always make things better.

Now I'm watching my "Cher...The Farewell Tour" from 2003. What a performance that was!

Guess this is what some bored old ladies do at night.😁

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KarenK said:

didn't care for the computer generated dog. Technology does not always make things better.

I agree with you completely, Karen. Dogs are quite wonderful just the way they are, and I hate it when Hollywood tries to humanize them with their animation tricks. Let dogs be dogs, for goodness sake! I found what was done to depict Buck in this movie was SO distracting and annoying. Ruined it for me too.  ❤️

• Like 1

I haven’t seen Call of the Wild yet.  When I heard about the CGI, I didn’t understand why they would do that.  Animals are hard to work with at times, but so worth it.  I’ve heard actors are sometimes intimidated they will be sidelined by them.  But Ford said he was surprised they didn’t use a real dog.  He was disappointed.  But I’ll still see it as I read the book as a kid and don’t remember it.  Plus I like Ford a lot.  

I’m watching The Irishman now with DeNiro, Pacino, Romano and Pesci.  It’s very good about the mob during Hoffa's reign.  As I squeeze in a bit at a time, it’s going to take several nights at over 3 hours.  

Live been catching some movies on satellite I never saw before.  They did a Kevin Costner run so I saw The Bodyguard and Swimmer.  Enjoyed them both.

• Like 1

Went to shower and didn't shut my bedroom door tight. Dogs came flying down the hall and through the door looking at me like "You were going to shower without us watching over you?"  They're so weird. They have to lay in my bedroom while I shower. It's nice to be loved though.

Gwen, if you want a movie version closer to the book, try the one with Charlton Heston or Clark Gable. I've not seen the one with Rutger Hauer. Unless you just want to watch Harrison Ford.....

I liked "The Bodyguard". I'm not familiar with a Costner movie called "Swimmer". Could it be "The Guardian"?

• Like 1