Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

I'm working, very diligently, on trying to look for "positives" in my life.....to keep me sane and alive.  Making plans for a huge move......"semi" retirement.....kind of scary but the feeling that this is "right" overrides most fears.  My "baby girl" and her BF came down here for a week long visit.....and, in a beautiful, romantic evening orchestrated by her BF, he proposed (after asking for my blessing, and I had to keep mum!) and she accepted.....so there will be a wedding to look forward to next year.  Oh, how Connor would've loved this!  Although not his blood...he often said she was the child of his heart!  I know that he'll "be there" in some way, surely.....just so wish it could be at my side!   And the probability of more grandchildren....nothing will ever, ever erase my grief, that is impossible.  But I fervently pray that I can find enough left in this life to sustain me, keep me going, with even some measure of happiness, until the blessed day that I'm finally reunited with my beloved soulmate/best friend/husband Connor!

• Upvote 7

WolfsKat,

Have you decided, then, on working part time?  I'm so glad about your daughter's engagement and for all that it entails (grandchildren someday, etc.).  :wub:

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, kayc said:

WolfsKat,

Have you decided, then, on working part time?  I'm so glad about your daughter's engagement and for all that it entails (grandchildren someday, etc.).  :wub:

Most certainly, Kay......I will actually have more income coming in than I do now, working full time...it's a no-brainer! Will start part time January 1st.....new year, new way of life.

• Upvote 3

Good luck to you!;)

• Upvote 3

Decided to bite the bullet and move forward with Hip replacement surgery.......its a major change or inconvenience in everyones schedule , But hopefully, will only be 3 or 4 weeks and back to a manageable "limp"......This getting old is not for wimps.......Finally got last legal issues resolved, changed ownership from joint to Single owner....that hits home...Thirteen months

• Upvote 5

When are you having your hip replacement surgery done, Kevin?  I know a 90 year old that had it done, she's getting around great.  Will you go to rehab for a time, or do you have someone staying with you while you recover?  It seems like there's a lot of P.T. goes with that.

The taking their names off of things is really hard.  We knew each other 6 1/2 years but were only married 3 2/3 years...it felt like I just put our lives together only to have to undo it all!  It was very hard, esp. since I'd wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, we were supposed to grow old and go through these things together, yes, like hip replacement surgery!

• Upvote 4

KayC....expect the call after Sept 15th.......Do have two people who will spend the time with me, and I will do my best to minimize their time requirement.....my plan is be ready for   a Yuma Vacation in late February..........There is no rehab planned except the regiment/exercise plan they give me.....within three days you are able to do stairs, use washroom on your own, and get in and out of a seated position.... ......Ownership and this whole bequeathing  thing is different again......Quite the journey, and it keeps moving

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, kevin said:

Decided to bite the bullet and move forward with Hip replacement surgery.......its a major change or inconvenience in everyones schedule , But hopefully, will only be 3 or 4 weeks and back to a manageable "limp"......This getting old is not for wimps.......Finally got last legal issues resolved, changed ownership from joint to Single owner....that hits home...Thirteen months

My brother had the hip replacement surgery years ago and he did well.  He had a rare blood disease called Legge-Perthes disease that was discovered when brother and I were wrestling around 10 years old.  Now the technology, surgery, and recovery is much quicker.  Praying for a healing and restoration for you, Kevin. - Shalom

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kevin said:

Quite the journey, and it keeps moving

Good luck with this Kevin.  You have the attitude to succeed and I am sure you will.  You quoted Bette Davis, the actress, in other words.  She said getting old was not for sissies.  It isn't, but I'm afraid I am a sissy.  Like I said, I know your attitude will carry you through this.  

• Upvote 3

Thanks Mitch.  I can say I have not run away scared when I am with Mama lately. She hurts though.  That is just wrong.  At 95, they should not ever let her hurt.  They could not give my dad enough morphine to keep him from hurting, he was rattling deaths door but if they gave him more it would kill him.  I wonder if that is what they call an oxymoron..  Like I said, life and death are a riddle I will never comprehend until it is too late to tell anyone the answers.

• Upvote 3

Good for you Kevin.  

My father had both his hips done (3 months apart) when he was in his mid 80's.  He looked 10 years younger after each one. It was amazing to see how good he looked and felt without all the pain he suffered for so long.

My Dad was a funny guy.  He still is my hero ;).  He became a first time father at 45, a onetime grandfather at 75, got hearing aids at 80, divorced at 85, remarried at 87, to my mother again - they were married 50 years prior to the divorce.  And then just when I thought things would 'normalize' my mother left him for good after 9 months.  He lived with me for about 3 1/2 years off and on and then moved into a care home.  He got a pacemaker at 90 and lived reasonably well til 91 1/2.  He was a tough old Scotchman and he said, 'this getting old is no great hell!'.  

I also believe you have a great attitude and this surgery will give you a much more comfortable life.  

• Upvote 4

Thanks Marita, I procrastinated for sometime and believe all the weight I lost doesn't make a marked difference......I don't plan on any Sports comeback, I just want to put on my socks or tie my shoes.........I have heard similar stories like your Dad's, and I beleve the second hip is not far behind.......Was it only 3 months apart?......Thats pretty good, helps my motivation......take care

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kevin said:

.I don't plan on any Sports comeback, I just want to put on my socks or tie my shoes

I love it!  That's me!  Just want to be reasonably healthy so I can keep doing for myself and enjoy my walks like I always have.

Good luck with it!

• Upvote 3

Kevin, my dear, I've had both hips replaced as well as a knee, and the best advice I can offer is to get up and get moving as soon as possible after your surgery. The best part for me was knowing that before the surgery the pain would only get worse with each passing day, but afterward it would be just the opposite ~ and it was! Do your post-op exercises as prescribed and your recovery will go smoothly. Besides, you've got all of us pulling for you! 

• Upvote 4

This all sounds good.........Installing couple minor handles to assist myself and on the scrounge to borrow crutches,a walker, and who knows what else.......Your never alone as long as the I phone is charged....Already got two volunteers to assist me....Coming together, appears I was holding things up........ 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2016 at 11:22 AM, kevin said:

This all sounds good.........Installing couple minor handles to assist myself and on the scrounge to borrow crutches,a walker, and who knows what else.......Your never alone as long as the I phone is charged....Already got two volunteers to assist me....Coming together, appears I was holding things up........ 

Hey Kevin.......just want to tell you that I've known 5 who had hip replacement, my Connor being one....all of them were SO happy with the results, and Connor walked 400+ feet the day after surgery.  Keep moving, do the post-op therapy diligently, and you will do awesome!!!!

• Upvote 1

And I have two 92 year old friends that went through hip replacement surgery, one this year, one a couple years ago (they messed up and she had to have it redone a few months later).  They are both getting around great!

• Upvote 1

My brother, Pat, had hip replacement surgery in his forties.  He was able to rehabilitate quickly and walked around well for many years. - Shalom

• Upvote 1

This is super encouraging...got the call from surgeons office yesterday....Nov 28th is the day......working back from that now, now my diet is serious....Also been informed stationary bike    20 minutes twice daily to build muscles    will help in the recovery......Can't hurt, I'm pumped....

• Upvote 2