Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Reflections and musings

Memo where?  TPS reports?

That would be ggrreatt...

It's been years!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Tony Awards, and saw the performance from Fiddler on the Roof, it made me think about the night Mark and I were married.  We held our wedding in the facility I work at...The Jewish Community Center.  Most of my "family" was made up of the wonderful staff I work with on a daily basis. In order to honor that, Mark and I wanted to include the stomping of the glass to signify the joining of our lives.  It was actually a light bulb.  When Mark stamped hi foot on the light bulb wrapped in a cloth, there was a joyous "Mazel Tov" yelled out.  I can still remember the true joy and surprise on Mark's face when it happened.  It is sometimes the smallest of things that will touch my heart, and bring about that bittersweet feeling.  Missing him is an overpowering experience.

• Upvote 5

Maryann, that's a lovely and heartwarming wedding moment. It's so wonderful that you have such a tight-knit family at your job. As you said, those memories are bittersweet but let's concentrate on the sweet and try to let go of the bitter if we can.

• Upvote 2

I was discharged from the hospital a couple of hours ago. Will post more later about the struggle of being placed on an oncology ward a seeing nurses who took care of Deedo daily, talking to chaplains who gave Deedo comfort, seeing doctors who treated Deedo. 

Staying with my daughter tonight and then home tomorrow. 

That had to be hard my friend. Stuck in the middle of triggers. Damn!                      Have a safe trip back home.

• Upvote 3

Let us hear from you Brad.  I knew when you said NG tube something was going on.  Maybe DL played havoc on your Crohn's.  Hope your feeling better and can add solid food soon.  Brad, I know that low residue diet is no fun.  I miss salads, and what pure south person cannot have peas, beans, raw onion, or cornbread?  I also know what happens to me when I eat it.  Well, actually, I don't know because chocolate is the only thing I have eaten that was not on the diet.  Here I am assuming things and I know about the word "assume"  Anyhow, let us hear from you.

Brad,

I'm glad you're finally out at least, and I'm sure you'll be glad to be home tomorrow.  It had to be very hard to be in that hospital, ugh!

• Upvote 2

I firmly believe that there are things out there beyond our realm of understanding.

I had a very unexpected call today from the "boy" who lived next door to me when I bought this house back in 1968. He and my Debbie were four years old then and grew up together. Time passed, the kids grew up and they moved away. His father became very successful and they were neighbors to Kevin Costner for a while. He went into law enforcement in So. California where he and his family still reside. His parents live in a small town about 80 miles north of me. Needles to say, I have not spoken to him or his parents in many, many years. They are a very religious family.

He said for some unknown reason, I had been on his heart for several months, so he contacted another mutual friend for my number. He was completely unaware that I had lost Ron and Debbie, just felt that something was wrong here. He also told me that he had lost his wife three years ago to cancer, but that love has now found it's way into his heart once again. I am happy for him and so glad that he reached out to me.

This is not something either of us can explain, it just simply IS.

• Upvote 6

That is very special Karen.  In the spiritual world, word gets around.

• Upvote 4

Karen, so glad you got to hear from a voice from the past!  It's neat that he acted on that urging to call you.

• Upvote 2

Brad,

Hoping you have arrived home safely and that the flames and smoke from the Cedar fire is not coming your way. I think it appears to be moving south.

• Upvote 1

Good thing to live near Whiteriver too. There airport is the largest fire base camp in Arizona.

Let us know you got home safely Brad.

• Upvote 1

Home safe and sound (mostly).  Not a lot to worry about the flames but the smoke has been bad. C'est la vie.  The firefighters are doing a wonderful job.  Just need the monsoons to kick in early and without the dry lightning storms we sometimes get.

Brad, two lines, but so much between the lines.  I am glad you are at home safe.  The hospital's dietitian could not believe my surgeon said "low residue diet, forever."  She questioned him, and the truth came out.  "Low residue diet forever" if I want to live.  My insides have so much destruction from the massive amounts of radiation that they will not hold a stitch.  I am on my own.  Pain scares me.  I spent too many months in pain trying to make this doctor's choice over a colostomy work.  My next step is colostomy, or accepting my death.  I am neither "feeling" secure and definitely not "being" secure.  

I miss Arizona.  We loved it.  It is in the past now, only memories.  Billy loved the little quail with "hats."  We loved Alpine.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mittam99 said:

Actually I'm not sure any of us are really  "sound" these days

Mitch, those are the truest words I have read today.  Spending too much time on here.  Too much to do but I want my granddaughter to sleep so I won't make noise yet.  

• Upvote 1

So tired today.  I've really been struggling with my sleep, not so much falling asleep (although on occasion sleep just won't come) but staying asleep.  Drs put me on Lunesta and I'll fall asleep but then waken 4 to 6 times in a 5 to 7 hour sleep.  I've tried Melatonin, Lavender oil, Tylenol PM, Benadryl, Ativan, Remeron.  Ativan and Remeron work well but Ativan is habit forming and Remeron knocks me out for 10 hours or more.  The Benadryl through the IV at the hospital was great but not practical for home.  Honestly can't remember the last time I slept for more than 90 minutes without the help of drugs.  Oh wait I do remember - It was July 27, 2015; the day before Deedo was moved to hospice.  So frustrated with falling asleep around 10 then waking up at 11:30, then 1:00 then 2:30 and then being awake from then until 10 the next night.  At least with the Lunesta I can drift off until 4:30 waking twice more between 2:30 and 4:30.

When our sleep is compromised, it throws everything off.  Hard to think, feel and act rationally or as close as we can.  I can't sleep without meds either and none deliver a smooth night to wake with a recharged mind.  This just keeps feeding on itself.  It's no wonder we feel,like we are going crazy!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gwenivere said:

It's no wonder we feel,like we are going crazy!

Gwen, they could not give me a diagnosis other than chronic depression after 15 years.  I tried for other things.  How did I escape with just CD? 

I'd like to see them give me a diagnosis now.  .  

Brad, Xanax is addictive.  And, for me, addiction to Xanax is the least of my problems.  I was "addicted" to it in the early 1980s.  I knew how to get off of it.  I still know how to get off it.  The fact is, I do not want to get off it.  All the other pills, I have tried.  With my colon in the shape it is in, not too much I want to try.  Ambien gave me 2 hours and then I would take it again.  I was always in bed when I took it, but I would take it every two hours.  Knew it was addictive and supposedly weird things happened.  Not to me.  Hated it though.  It was an alarm clock, 2 hours, then 2 hours, then 2 hours.  Not to be taken like that but I was so desperate to sleep, not think. Now, I take my Xanax at night along with my clonidine (blood pressure) which makes me sleepy also.  They say they give Xanax to more older people now.  It does not bother my colon.  It does not bother me in any way.  People say it is not good, but I have been on it, I have been off of it.  I had prescriptive amphetamines in the 1970s.  Seven years.  Taken away cold turkey.  I know withdrawal from a drug like amphetamines and the drug craving for years.  Xanax did not do that way.  No craving when I got off of it, but I weaned myself off.  I do not plan on weaning myself off anytime in the near future.  It helps with my congenital tremor, and I won't give it up.  But, that is just me.  Many have disagreements with prescription medicine.  I am not one of them. I do not abuse my prescription nor take more than prescribed.  If I did, they would not renew it.

• Upvote 1

Seriously thinking of going back on Remeron for sleep.  Just not excited about being asleep almost as much as being awake.  Better than four hours of sleep and twenty awake.