Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Thought Happily Ever After Would Be Longer

My fourteenth anniversary was spent by myself too Amy. It was also the day my dad departed this world. That is just not the way it should have been but that day seems like a long time ago. We'll all be thinking of you tomorrow dear one and remember that it shall always remain the day that Daniel chose to spend the rest of his life with you.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Dew's Girl said:

Tomorrow will be our 14th wedding anniversary.

Thinking of you and hoping your day goes alright.  I never have figured out how to spend our anniversary, his birthday, etc.  His death day pretty much sucks.  It helps to keep busy and not be alone but George's death day in Father's Day, I'm always alone then as I can't horn in on other people's celebrations.

However you choose to spend today, I hope you feel close to him.

• Upvote 3

Sharing a new blog post (with special thanks to Maryann for providing some inspiration)

" Daniel put this ring on my finger 14 years ago today.  The one beside it, I placed on his.  On this day, sitting here without him, I tell myself that it's important - vital - that I focus on the day I gave him this ring and shove back the thoughts of the day I took it back off his finger before they took his body away from me."

The rest is at the link below.

http://dewsgirl.blogspot.com/2016/07/unending-circle.html?spref=fb 

rings.jpg

• Upvote 6

Happy Anniversary Amy. The rings are perfect and so is the story. Death cannot stop true love.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, KATPILOT said:

Death cannot stop true love.

Thanks.  Princess Bride was one of our favorite movies.  Daniel would always say "As you wish" when I asked for something.  Good memories.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Marg M said:

I have that sign I put behind and above Billy's urn.  Happy Anniversary and I love the tattoo.

Same here Marg.  You can see the corner of Daniel's urn just to the right.  I hope the sign brings you some measure of peace when you visit Billy.

• Upvote 2

My "sign" is just in black and white, a big white board with the words in block letters.  Not as pretty as yours, but the message is the same.  When I saw it, I had to have it.  The words are the truth in black and white or whatever color, the message is so true.  No hesitation, the sign came home with me and I don't even know what the monetary cost was, it didn't matter.  I love the true message.

Also, the wooden urn looks just like his.  I had one picked out that was wooden and had a tree engraved on it with a message.  I wanted it but they said it was one that was to be used to scatter his ashes.  But, the funeral home said they could have it engraved in the wood on top.  It says:

A limb has fallen from our family tree that says grieve not for me.  Remember the BEST TIMES, the LAUGHTER and the SONG, and most of all the good life i lived while I was STRONG.  

When I was packing to move, Billy's urn was the first thing I got ready.  I put it in the space behind the seat of the extended cab in the truck.  It sat there for two days while we were packing.  I told Scott that I hated to leave Daddy in the heat.  He said "Mama, think about what you just said."  Sometimes reality has a way of hitting you smack in the face.

• Upvote 4

Amy, your tattoo is just beautiful!  I have one with our symbol and George's name below it...placed where no one else sees it, but it's between him and me.  

5 hours ago, Marg M said:
5 hours ago, Marg M said:

When I was packing to move, Billy's urn was the first thing I got ready.

I hated to leave Daddy in the heat.

Marg, you're a hoot! :D

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Hi all.  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.

Things have been crazy here.  I took in a 12 year old whose parents are in prison so my life has been all about getting her settled in.  Still missing Daniel like crazy every. single. day.  I have so much to tell him.

• Upvote 5

Amy,

What a wonderful thing for both of you! I hope you will brighten each other's days. A  challenge for sure to raise a 12 year old. I'm sure Daniel is smiling down on you.

• Upvote 4

Amy, my 17-year-old granddaughter has bad problems with anxiety.  We just had her picture ID card made for school and she hates having her picture taken.  She is beautiful, but she has body opposition problems.  She does not see what we see.  I guarantee you that your involvement with the 12-year-old will help you in ways you could not even imagine.  I cannot stand to fuss at my granddaughter, but if we are supposed to be at somewhere at a certain time I cannot make her get ready in time.  She cannot see the perfect person she is on the outside because of the mix-up on the inside.  She goes to a counselor and we are working on it.  

I am glad you are helping this child.  In the meantime, it helps us also.  

• Upvote 4

Amy, that is an amazing thing you are doing, I pray it benefits you both, I'm sure it will!

• Upvote 1

WOW Amy!!!  A 12 year old.....brink of puberty, chaotic emotions, etc.  You will have your hands full, but hopefully you will be a blessing to one another!  My 56 year old friend is raising her 4 yr old grandgirl...AND has adopted 3 children in the past year, AND has taken in 2 foster kids recently......kudos to those of you who do these kind of things!!!!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Serious meltdown this morning.  I've been doing so well that it actually shocked me.

I've lost weight from this whole grieving thing.  I guess I didn't realize how much until my wedding ring fell off this morning.  I watched in horror as it slipped off my finger and clanged onto the floor.  

A moment frozen in time and then sped up as my knees just buckled and I was on the ground sobbing.  I have been feeling like I'm moving too far away from my old life with Daniel and this just felt like too much.

• Upvote 3

Amy,. so sorry you are having such a bad day.  I've had them too, we all have.  It does feel like we are moving away from our old life and I guess we really are, however, as long as they are in our hearts, souls and minds, they are still with us, but not in the same way.  It is a really hard adjustment.  Hope your day gets a little better.

Joyce

• Upvote 6

Amy I can see how that must have sent you into a meltdown.  All it did though is just slip off. This happens sometimes because we lose weight in grief. My ring became so loose that I feared it falling off and worse, losing it. I gained the weight back soon enough much to my chagrin. I sense you had something close to a trigger moment but perhaps more of a symbolic moment.  Try to understand that it had no meaning in respect to moving away from Daniel. It just slipped off you thin finger that's all. You can always have it sized down need be.  It's times like this that we realize how close we are to coming unglued. Just one thing can put us over the edge of thinking we are doing pretty good.     It'll be okay. :wub:

• Upvote 8